BMW Motorrad USA proudly announced the new and updated 2023 BMW S 1000 RR superbike with meaningful enhancements to the chassis, suspension, aerodynamics, and electronic assist systems. First introduced in 2009, the S 1000 RR has become the standard for its segment in terms of performance and rider safety features.
“With an advanced suspension and chassis, the new Brake Slide Assist and DTC Slide Control assistance systems as well as optimized aerodynamics with winglets and a redesigned rear end, we are able to raise the RR’s performance to a new level.” Wolfgang Wallner, Project Manager S 1000 RR
- Updated chassis, suspension and aerodynamics
- New electronic assist features
- MSRP of $17,895 plus $695 Destination
- Expected U.S. market arrival – January 2023
Engine and drivetrain
The new RR features a revised 4-cylinder in-line engine and delivers 205 hp at 13,000 rpm and a maximum torque of 83 lb-ft. at 11,000 rpm, unchanged in the U.S. from the outgoing model’s power and torque figures. The maximum engine speed is 14,600 rpm. Increased rear wheel traction in all gears is provided by a shorter secondary gear ratio through the use of a sprocket with 46 instead of 45 teeth.
The cylinder head with new intake port geometry is modeled on the M RR engine. With the aim of achieving optimum power delivery across the entire rev range, the intake ducts have been redesigned as well. They feature the advanced channel geometry as used in the M RR but have a cast surface instead of milled as on the M RR.
BMW ShiftCam Technology
The advanced RR engine is equipped with BMW ShiftCam Technology for varying the valve timing and the valve stroke on the intake side. This is a three-part intake shift camshaft that has two cams mounted on a shift segment for each valve to be actuated: a torque cam and a power cam, each with optimally designed cam geometry. The shift speed of the BMW ShiftCam of the new RR is 9,000 rpm, same as before.
By means of an axial displacement of the cam segment, the inlet valves are shifted from either the torque cam or the power cam in just 10 milliseconds, depending on the load and speed. The axial displacement of the cam segment and thus the use of torque or power cam is affected via two shift cams on the cam segment and two electromechanical actuators. The different design of the cam geometry is used to vary the timing and the valve lift. While the full-load cam provides maximum valve lift, the partial-load cam delivers reduced valve lift.
Highlights of the new BMW S 1000 RR
- Shorter secondary gear ratio for more traction at the rear wheel.
- Advanced “Flex Frame” with more flex.
- Chassis geometry with new steering head angle, offset, caster and wheelbase.
- M Chassis Kit with adjustable swinging arm pivot point and raised rear end.
- Dynamic Traction Control DTC with new Slide Control function for drifts while accelerating using steering angle sensor.
- ABS Pro with new Brake Slide Assist function using steering angle sensor for braking drifts when approaching corners.
- ABS Pro Setting “Slick”
- Optimized aerodynamics with new front section, winglets, high windshield and partitioning off of the lower triple clamp.
- M lightweight battery as standard.
- USB charging port in the rear section.
- Redesigned rear section and shorter license plate holder.
- Redesigned wiring harness for easier removal of the license plate frame.
- Clutch and generator cover in black.
- Easier rear wheel assembly removal due to loss-proof axle bushings, chamfered brake pads and brake anchor plate.
- M GPS Mouse Adapter as part of the BMW Motorrad original accessory range.
- New GoPro holder as part of the BMW Motorrad original accessory range.
- Three paintwork finishes: Blackstorm metallic, Style Passion in Racing Red non-metallic and Lightwhite non-metallic/BMW M.
Ride modes and Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) with new Slide Control
The 2023 BMW S 1000 RR features two distinct sets of riding modes: For street and for the track. The four standard modes include “Rain”, “Road”, “Dynamic” and “Race”, while the optional “Pro Modes” offers “Race Pro 1”, “Race Pro 2” and “Race Pro 3”. The latest generation of Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) with 6-axis sensor cluster, lean angle sensor and fine adjustment for even more safety and performance when accelerating are also standard.
The new feature of Dynamic Traction Control DTC is the Slide Control function. The central component of Slide Control is the steering angle sensor. Based on its signal, together with the wheel speeds and the sensor box signals, the slip angle at the rear wheel (“drift angle”) is estimated.
Depending on the characteristics of the rear tire, the road surface and the drive slip allowed by the slip control, a slip angle is established. This is so small in the stable driving condition that it is not noticed by the rider. Slide Control compares the current slip angle and comes up with a set value dependent on the DTC setpoint. If it looks as if this setpoint is going to be exceeded, Slide Control initiates a reduction of the drive slip.
The new RR also offers the rider Launch Control for active support on race starts. Activation is done during standstill with the engine idling by pressing the start button for more than three seconds. The relevant information is displayed on the instrument cluster. From the technical point of view, Launch Control also limits engine torque so that the maximum transferable drive torque is available at the rear wheel when setting off in first gear. When the rider shifts into second gear, the engine torque is corrected in line with the change in ratio so that the maximum transferable drive torque continues to be available at the rear wheel during this phase.
Easier removal of rear wheel
As before, rear wheel control is ensured by a gravity die cast swing arm derived from racing. Suspension and damping is provided by a central spring and shock with adjustable spring base, damping, rebound and compression. The rebound and compression can still be adjusted by means of a ten-click scaling. The shock is now height-adjustable for enhanced tuning. For easier removal and installation of the rear wheel, the axle bushings on the rear wheel on the right side are now mounted to prevent loss and the brake pads and the brake anchor plate are chamfered. The total rear suspension travel is 4.6 inches.
One of the main areas of focus in the development of the RR was aerodynamics. This area has played a central role in both MotoGP and in the Superbike World Championship for several years now, with the aim of improving lap times even further. While for decades the developers of racing motorcycles concentrated almost exclusively on aerodynamic resistance (“drag”) and thus essentially on the best achievable top speed, today the focus is on other aerodynamic aspects for Superbikes and MotoGP bikes with outputs of well over 200 hp.
M Package – Light White paint with M graphics and new clear coat, M Sport seat, M Forged wheels or optional M Carbon wheels, M footrest system, black fuel filler cap.
Premium Package – combines contents of Dynamic Package and Race Package – M titanium rear silencer with carbon fiber end cap or optional M Titanium exhaust system, M Endurance, chain, Heated grips, Cruise control, Ride Modes Pro, DDC Dynamic Damping Control.
Carbon Package – M Carbon front and rear wheel covers, M Carbon chain guard, M Carbon top fairing side trim, M Carbon sprocket cover.
M Billet Package – Milled, anodized aluminum folding clutch and front brake levers, plus handbrake lever protector.
- Alarm system (dealer installed accessory)
- Pillion seat cover
- TPM Tire Pressure Monitor
- Design Option wheels
- Passenger Kit
M Performance Parts.
- M axle protectors.
- M Carbon airbox cover.
- M Carbon rear wheel.
- M Carbon front wheel.
- M Carbon chain guard.
- M Carbon rear wheel cover.
- M Carbon front wheel cover.
- M Carbon sprocket cover.
- M Carbon fuel tank trim.
- M Carbon fairing side panel top.
- M Datalogger.
- M GPS Lap Trigger.
- M rider footrests.
- M rider footrest system.
- M seat.
- M seat high.
- M seat low.
- M passenger footrests.
- M folding handbrake lever.
- M folding handbrake lever with remote adjustment.
- M handbrake lever protector.
- M chain tensioner.
- M folding clutch lever.
- M clutch lever protector.
- M lithium-ion battery.
- M rear assembly stand mounting spools.
- M engine protectors.
- M oil fill cap.
- M cover kit.
- M fork clamp for stub handlebars.
- M forged wheel, rear.
- M forged wheel, front.
- M Endurance seat.
- M tire warmers.
- Folding rucksack.
- Rear bag, 20-liter.
- Tank bag, 1.5-liter.
- Pouch for smartphone.
- Tank bag, 10-liter.
- Bag for passenger seat, 10-liter.
Ergonomics and comfort
- Passenger seat.
- Windscreen tinted.
- Windshield, high.
- Windshield, high, tinted.
- Action camera/accessory mount.
- Tank pad.
- Radiator and oil cooler guard.
- Protective film for TFT display.