Are you looking to decrease fatty tissue while increasing muscle mass? Are you in need of a flat board stomach and amazing gluts? The antidote is simple. Hit the track! Sprinters are not only fast, but they are strong and powerful. I can attest to this as the only athlete on my high school football team to run track. The result was multiple state championships in various races including the hurdles. It’s why I continue HIIT — High Intensity Interval Training — at the age of 38. I also perform low intensity training like endurance running, but prefer the results of HIIT.
- The benefits include quicker acceleration of calories burned.
- Extended metabolic processing of calories (sometimes 36 hours after the workout)
- Muscle development.
- Development of your fast twitch muscles. Parents especially need this for chasing kids around.
- Fat loss without the sacrifice of shedding muscles (distance running reduces muscle mass).
- A great looking body!
So find a track and get to work. Here is a simple weekend routine for you. Yet, try to get in two weekly sprint sessions and at least two weight-training routines. Also, fuel your body with a healthy and balanced diet which includes lots of fruits, veggies, nuts, shakes, whole grains and naturally based proteins like quinoa, oatmeal, almond butter/banana sandwiches, and brown rice and beans.
1 Hour HIIT
- 1 warm up lap (400 meters)
- Run 1 mile (4 laps) at 75% of your energy level
- Alternate sets of 100 push-ups and sit-ups. 25x
- 2 sets of 10 jump squats (squat to the ground and explode up and reach for the sky)
- 4 sets of 100s. Rest 1 minute in between sets
- 4 sets of 200s. Rest 2 minutes in between sets
- 2 sets of 50s. Rest 3 minutes in between set
- Jog 1 lap and call it a day.
Replenish the body with coconut water and a protein shake.